Saturday, November 19, 2011

TO STUDY ALONE OR TO STUDY IN GROUPS?


Just night before the exams it has become a ritual for all the members of our wolf pack to come together and study together. It is customary for everyone to bring a nicotine intense drink and to swear ones allegiance to the gang and vow to remain awake throughout the night whatsoever be the consequences. I would prepare the room for the studies and even light an incense stick and offer prayers to all the gods I know and apologizing to others because I don’t know about them. By the time all the rituals are over its late enough that one of the weaker members of the pack would start yawning and it is a known fact that yawning is contagious. Before even the first concept of the first chapter is cleared everyone is tired and the exhaustion is evident as if the wolves have been hunting without food for more than a week. This is the time when innovation conquers over the logic and the suggestion of mixing beer with redbull and a table spoon of coffee seems to be most logical thing to do. Drinking that horrendous liquid is not enough because that has to be followed by deep fried dumplings and deep fried chicken, basically something has to be deep fried. An hour later, at least one of the team members is down and other two are drooling and dripping saliva over the book. The situation worsens when other hostel buddies comes banging on the door and waking us up saying that the exam is about to start in ten minutes. Even though this has become ritualistic every time we appear for any exam, it makes me wonder whether studying alone would be any different or not.
So this time I decided to betray my friends and took that bold step of studying alone. The ritual was the same, lighting incense stick, praying to all the gods that I know and apologizing to others because I don’t know about them. I was missing the deep fired goodies and the horrendous liquid all the time but this time around i did manage to read few topics more than when I was with my friends. But something was missing, I did realize much later in the night that when I used to study with my wolf pack we had one advantage over studying alone, we would solve each other’s doubts and help each other in their weaknesses and thus by clearing each other’s doubts we would cover many topics which we might miss while studying alone!
Now that put me into a dilemma what to do? One day I realized while facebooking that why not combine both the experience into one. Why not study alone and be together at the same time? Why not be tied in a social networking media where we share each other’s doubts and solve each other’s queries and be away from temptations like mixing coffee power with redbull and then boiling it.  This is when I started creating a platform for education that is social and private both at the same time and after a researching and trying and re- trying for more than one year I came up with the idea of www.mytestbuddy.com and thus it came into existence. I hope the students would appreciate my efforts and would like the interface that I have created.

No comments:

Post a Comment